My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Friday, October 13, 2006

No Joke: From Jack Lewis

Below you will find an outstandingly frustrating reality we have been decrying for some time now, written by Jack Lewis. He has a witty way with words, and I hope you will appreciate him as much as I do. Here he is:

The Brownsville Herald reports that Raj Peter Bhakta, Republican candidate for Congress (13th District U.S. House of Representatives seat in Eastern Pennsylvania) and also former contestant on the NBC show “The Apprentice,” took three elephants and a mariachi band into the Rio Grande in order to see how easy it would be to cross into the US.

They began in the US and actually never cross to Mexico, but wanted to see what alarms their presence would bring...
"I tell you something, he could have made 15 laps back and forth, but no one showed up"...

"To my surprise, the band played on, the elephants splashed away, and nobody showed up," Bhakta said of the stunt. "I’m astounded."
The Herald article (very poorly written, I might add) doesn't mention how long it took for officials to finally show up (an important fact, wouldn't you think?). It was the department of Agriculture which finally sent someone out, to see if the elephants were free of ticks. Terrorists with anthrax, sarin gas or thermonuclear devices they don't worry about, no, they were concerned about...ticks.