My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Daily Quote 7/2/2006

Monday, June 26, 2006.
"This gave me occasion to observe, that when Men are employ'd they are best contented. For on the Days they work'd they were good-natur'd and chearful; and with the consciousness of having done a good Days work they spent the Evenings jollily; but on the idle Days they were mutinous and quarrelsome, finding fault with their Pork, the Bread, and in continual ill-humour."

--Benjamin Franklin (Autobiography, 1771); Reference: Franklin: Writings, Lemay, ed., Library of America (1447)

This is soooooo true!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006.
"The deliberate union of so great and various a people in such a place, is without all partiality or prejudice, if not the greatest exertion of human understanding, the greatest single effort of national deliberation that the world has ever seen."

--John Adams (quoted in a letter from Rufus King to Theophilus Parsons, 20 February 1788); Reference: The Life and Correspondence of Rufus King, King, vol. 1 (321)

I second that. :)

Wednesday, June 28, 2006.
"Nothing more than a change of mind, my dear."

--James Madison (responding to his niece asking what was wrong, 28 June 1836); Reference: James Madison: Commander in Chief, Brandt, vol. 6 (520)

Hmm?

Friday, June 30, 2006. (I know. I cannot find Thursday's!)
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."

--Benjamin Franklin (letter to Benjamin Vaughn, 14 March 1783); Reference: Respectfully Quoted, p. 201