My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Der Spiegel: The World Cup and it's aftermath

I came upon this independent newspaper in Germany (which also is available in English for those of us who do not speak German), and found it quite charming. The name of it is Der Spiegel.

It is a bit interesting how I found it. I was searching for "science" or "global warming" or "dissent" while using Google. (It is amazing how many sites I have found on a search while not looking for them.)

I found a very fine article named, "EXAGGERATED SCIENCE: HOW GLOBAL WARMING RESEARCH IS CREATING A CLIMATE OF FEAR." It was written in January 24, 2005 for Der Spiegel by Hans von Storch and Nico Stehr. I enjoyed it immensely.

So how did I end up in the sports section? lol. I don't even follow soccer, but I know the world does. I follow where the news takes me, and there was an editorial on the condition of the Capitol during and after the event of the World Cup.

I was surprised at the editorial I read. It did not seem to be a politically-biased writing. It was thoughtful, concerned, and they were trying to understand how a government could allow some of their treasures and museums be trampled for the commerce brought by the World Cup.

I can understand this. They were concerned about the Holocaust Museum. There are many shops that have recently (within the last month) popped up, yet the park in the center of the Capitol was blocked off to citizens. Tourists, tourists, tourists; citizens be damned! As we say in America: If you want to solve the 'crime,' follow the money.

You may read this article yourself. It is titled, "Are World Cup Parties Soiling Berlin's Landmarks?" Please let me know what you think. Have a wonderful day.

I am going to submit this article to the Carnival of German-American Relations. You are welcome to do so as well. If you have written anything about Germany that you would like to submit, please contact me. Thank you, and have a wonderful day.

Category: Germany and Sports-2.