My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

On the Lighter Side

A friend of mine, Jack Lewis, once in a while sends me articles that I may post. These are not my opinion, but I must admit. This one made me giggle.

SUMMARY: An Arizona physician is proposing a lottery to lure more people to vote. Apparently he feels the average intelligence of voters is too high. Guess which party he belongs to.

TEXT:
From the Arizona Republic...
The proposal by Tucson physician Mark Osterloh would require state election officials to pull one ballot at random after each primary and general election. That person would win $1 million.

But whether that would encourage voters remains to be seen. A statewide survey conducted in 2003, when Osterloh proposed the idea, showed that only 12 percent of those surveyed said they would be more likely to vote if they had a chance of becoming a millionaire.

An additional 10 percent said the lottery would make them less likely. Nearly everyone else told pollster Fred Solop that it would make no difference at all.

Despite that, Osterloh, who has put more than $100,000 into the campaign, insists that the gamble is worth it if it brings more people to the polls.
I can't fathom a more idiotic proposal. The only people swayed by lotteries are idiots. Why would we want to encourage idiots to vote? I wondered if they article would omit a salient fact, but there, tucked away in the very last paragraph was the mention that Osterloh is...yes, a Democrat. Why else would he be wanting more morons at the polls? That's their voter base.

Editor's Note: I do not personally buy lottery tickets. Everyone who jumped on Bill Bennett for gambling, if you buy lottery tickets, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. If you had that kind of money, you know darn well you would be out there as well! :)

A little on the serious side. If you do not know the issues, don't vote. If you do not know about the candidates, don't vote. If you do not know the issues, don't vote! I am sick of paying for the idiots you elect! Come on, now. Give me a break...

Category: Humor.