My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Earthquake measuring 6.2 hits Indonesia, again

The earthquake hit at 5:54 am while the people slept, killing over 3,500 people and injuring thousands more. It occured near the ancient city of Yogyakarta, 250 miles east of the capital, Jakarta.

The quake's epicenter was 50 miles south of the rumbling Mount Merapi volcano, and activity increased soon after the temblor. A large burst spewed hot clouds and sent debris cascading some two miles down its western flank.

U.S. Embassy spokesman Max Kwak said he did not know of any American casualties, adding that the United States was donating $100,000 for search-and-rescue efforts and emergency care.

You may read more about this tragedy at SFGate.com. Take into consideration, please, that this article was written earlier today, so the number of dead has increased. I have reported the newest number. I have not yet heard of somewhere to donate, but I will let you know if I do. Thank you.

Update: The total dead is now 4,600. Indonesia has called for help, and they have declared their situation to be a state of emergency. Today is Sunday, 5/28/2006.

Category: News and Indonesia.