My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Daily Quote 5/28/2006

Monday, May 22, 2006
"All see, and most admire, the glare which hovers round the external trappings of elevated office. To me there is nothing in it, beyond the lustre which may be reflected from its connection with a power of promoting human felicity."

--George Washington (letter to Catherine Macaulay Graham, 9 January 1790)

Tuesday, 5/23/2006
"I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground that 'all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states or to the people.' To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress, is to take possession of a boundless field of power, not longer susceptible of any definition."

-- Thomas Jefferson (Opinion on the Constitutionality of a National Bank, 15 February 1791); Reference: The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Boyd, ed., vol. 19 (276)

Exactly. Try telling this to anyone who can actually do anything about it, and they say, "It's too complex for me to understand." HOW DARE THEY! They do not know me! Argghhhh!

Wednesday, 5/24/2006
"Our unalterable resolution would be to be free. They have attempted to subdue us by force, but God be praised! in vain. Their arts may be more dangerous then their arms. Let us then renounce all treaty with them upon any score but that of total separation, and under God trust our cause to our swords."

-- Samuel Adams (letter to James Warren, 16 April 1776); Reference: The Spirit of `Seventy-Six, Commager and Morris (294); original Warren-Adams Letters, vol. 1 (224-225)

Does anyone know what Samuel Adams is referring to here? I sure would like to know! I agree with him about much I see today...

Thursday, 5/25/2006
"Wherever the real power in a Government lies, there is the danger of oppression."

-- James Madison (letter to Thomas Jefferson, 17 October 1788); Reference: Madison: Writings, Rakove, ed., Library of America (421)

I'm being invaded! I'm being oppressed! God, come to my rescue! Amen.

Friday, 5/26/2006
"They define a republic to be a government of laws, and not of men."

-- John Adams (Novanglus No. 7, 6 March 1775); Reference: Papers of John Adams, Taylor, ed., vol. 2 (314)

I guess that would mean it does not matter if you had your illegal child here when you yourself were illegal, eh?

Category: Constitutional Issues.