My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Friday, April 07, 2006

The Fight for Free Speech in Iraq

Tuesday of this week we were informed that there was a problem with the distribution of newspapers in Iraq. It appears that death threats have made to many of the local newsstand owners. I remember there used to be over 80 papers! What was happening?

Today we received an answer. Omar of Iraq the Model shares with us part of a conversation he had with a journalist who has asked to remain anonymous. He confirmed the fact that many people have been receiving death threats.

Omar has been able to obtain one of these letters, but he did not translate it. It is too hateful, he has concluded. I suppose any death threat would be.

There is hope, however, that the news people will defy these lower than the bottom of my shoe ingrates. They have decided to be brave, for what is freedom if it is not worth fighting for? Yes, the papers will continue to come, and we will be ever diligent...

Category: Middle East.