My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Free Speech, Reporters, Iran

As I was reading Iranian Blogers in Jail (Democracy for Iran), I came across this article about Mojtaba SamieNejad. This is outrage. What is more outrageous about it, is the fact that no one is covering these facts.

Does it really matter whether the Washington Press has to wait a day to get the news there was an accident? There are REAL lives at stake here! (Not that Mr. Whittington's [sp?] life means less, it does not. He is being well taken care of at this time.)

Do you know this man's crime? He reported a TRUE story about three bloggers having been arrested. It happened. It was news. He went to jail for telling people. That is his crime. Do you really think you have problems?

Please do NOT ignore my indignation. I assure, there is more. On November 1, 2004, Mojtaba was first arrested and stayed in prison for three months for reporting news. He was temporarily released on January 27, 2005.

Upon his release, he started another blog (weblog) to write about his daily feelings. Apparently this a crime as well, because he was then arrested and given a two year sentence! He was sentenced June 2, 2005.

Do you feel it yet? Is your freedom so cheap, you do not care about others freedom? Then you do NOT deserve the freedom you have, and you will always be dependent upon others. You will be a slave to the state, so you must learn to keep your mouth shut. Remember, you cannot say anything that is against the government in the land you will create for yourself.

Oh? You don't want that? Then might I suggest you join me in sharing your outrage? Call your Congressperson and Senators tollfree at 1-877-762-8762, and let them know what is happening. They cannot know everything, so we must help them. Then we turn up the heat under their feet.

If every government in every country does the same, we can move mountains. I know this to be true, because I have seen it with my own eyes.

You can also write letters to the editors of your local and national papers, e-mail them, write articles on your personal sites, etc. Let us band together in the name of freedom to help Mojtaba and free speech at the same time.

Some people believe there is nothing worth fighting for, while others will tell you those people will blow whichever way the wind blows. I belong to that second group! Okay troops, pen in hand? Move out!