My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

It's about time! Passports for all

I was reading in the Chicago Tribune tonight (yes, I know. It suprised me too!) when I came across this article.
U.S. will require passports from all
By Lara Jakes Jordan, Associated Press, Published September 2, 2005

WASHINGTON -- The government said Thursday it will go ahead with plans to require all travelers arriving from Canada, Mexico and other allied nations to show a passport or other such document to enter the U.S.
I am amazed. It certainly is about time. It has only been 4 years since the 9/11 attacks! I would have preferred this law to be in effect the day of the attacks.
The basis for the passport rules was an intelligence overhaul, requiring tighter border security, which Bush signed into law last December.Homeland Security spokesman Jarrod Agen said the administration is looking to use biometric technology in creating an alternative identification card before the 2007 deadline.
The State and Homeland Security Departments stated this new law was to tighten the borders. The only question I have is, "Is a Matricular ID valid?" If it is, why bother?

Of course, Canada and Mexico are not pleased, but they are going to have to live with it. As if they do as it is. President Bush is allowing Mexico one extra year to comply. Is he trying to make the polls get worse?

I hope this works. I pray no nuclear material has made it across the border already. My fear is it already has. My reason for that fear shall be in an upcoming article. Thank you.