My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Sunday, May 22, 2005

President & CFO of Pepsi Co, Indra Nooyi

There has been much ado about what was said on 5/15/2005 at Columbia Business School's graduation because of what was said by Ms. Indra Nooyi.

While I can understand how a part of her speech may have been unprofessionly spoken, I can also see how it could have been misunderstood.

Speaking from a business background myself, when we enter other countries we sometimes forget we are not in America anymore, but we do represent the perseption of America. Just as with our Military, we represent either the best or the worst in America. Unfortunately overseas, there is no opportunity to leave a second first impression. I truly believe this what she was addressing in her speech.

Yes. I have read it, and you may too. Here is a copy of it. On one hand (not to make a pun, lol), she was trying not to be dull. Come on, this was a graduation speech! Everyone wants to get out of there. On the other, she was trying to explain a very important concept that I must say I firmly agree.

That would be this: No matter where you are, be kind, be gentle, be pure, be honest, do not be rash, barbaric, impolite, and take the time BEFORE you go to learn about the culture. It is the best way to close a deal, beside having the best deal. LOL.

Please reconsider, and read the speech. You don't have to agree with her politics, but she meant no harm.

PS. I realize I may have a contraversial point of view, but it is mine alone. I do understand why many have been critical and in some sense, I do not disagree with you. I am just asking for you to try to read the whole speech objectively. That is all.

Hat tip to R. Thomas Collins of Quill News and Arthur Chrenkoff.