My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

10,000 Troops for South Sudan

I am so excited and shocked that I can hardly breathe. Today the UN Security Council voted unanimously to send 10,000 troops and 700 civilian police into the southern region of Sudan, ie. Darfur.

They are initially going to be there for 6 months. This is to support the phony peace agreement to make sure that it is implimented.

Unfortunately, they don't have to report back for thirty days as to what they think needs to be done to make things better. Make things better? Do they mean tell the Arab government to stop raping and murdering the people in Darfur? Read more here.

Mark has told me that they are only going into the southern part of Sudan. I thought Darfur was in the south, but I also know that part of the west consists of Darfur. Actually, most of the west! I e-mailed him for more information, and as soon as I know, I will let you know.