My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

News with Pictures

Nicholas D. Kristof has written a riveting story today about our indifference to the facts of what is really happening in Darfur. He brings it home with the pictures. If a picture paints a thousand words, then these 4 pictures say more than that. I encourage you to read the article.

One of them was this little boy. I'm not showing the photo of his older brother, about 5 years old, who lay beside him because the brother had been beaten so badly that nothing was left of his face. And alongside the two boys was the corpse of their mother.

Last is the skeleton of a man or woman whose wrists are still bound. The attackers pulled the person's clothes down to the knees, presumably so the victim could be sexually abused before being killed. If the victim was a man, he was probably castrated; if a woman, she was probably raped.
For all the people who know me, you know I would NEVER ask you to read the NY Times, except this time I am asking you to do just that. You do have to login, but you can delete any cookies by going to the tools option on the top bar. Go to internet options. You will see where you can delete cookies.
There are thousands more of these photos. Many of them show attacks on children and are too horrific for a newspaper.

...It's been common for the Sudanese militias to gang-rape teenage girls and then mutilate or kill them.
Please read this article. You say you want to get involved? You say you want to do what is right? Here is your opportunity. I have the answers for some of your questions, since I have been following this with little success. That, however, has not detered me. Please e-mail me or leave a comment with a way for me to contact you for information. I am counting on you, just as they are counting on us. Godspeed.