My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Action Alert Today: USA at the UN

My dear friends, I need your help. I am but one person but if we ban together, we can truly be the voice the people of Darfur, Sudan need to speak up and out for their very lives. Please join me, won't you?
Today, February 1st, the United States assumes the Presidency of the United Nations Security Council for one month, giving America a unique opportunity to help the people of Darfur by leading the international community to take action. Specifically, the U.S. must use its time as head of the Council to take the necessary steps to turn the under-funded and under-equipped African Union peacekeeping force into a much stronger and more capable United Nations peacekeeping force. If America is serious about helping the people of Darfur, this is not an opportunity we can pass up.

Please join today’s National Call-In Day organized by Africa Action by calling the U.S. Mission to the United Nations at (212) 415-4050, and asking U.S. Ambassador John Bolton to introduce a Security Council resolution calling for a multinational intervention in Darfur in support of the African Union with a mandate to protect civilians.
Thank you.