My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

It's blood for oil in Southern Sudan

By Julie Flint
Commentary by
Friday, June 10, 2005

I have been writing about Darfur and the problems between the government and the refugees, but I neglected to inform you of another war which was going on for over 20 years in Southern Sudan.

The Sudan Peoples Liberation Movement (SPLA) signed a peace treaty with the Sudanese governement. The problem is that the militias that the government uses to murder, rape, loot, torture, enslave, and generally destroy these people did not sign on to this agreement.

The main problem they are having is about the oil. You want to talk about a war over oil? Here it is. Except it isn't the USA. It is Sudan. This is a very good article writen by an expert journalist who has been covering this situation for many YEARS. Please read it. Thank you.