My Newz 'n Ideas

It is my intent to express my opinion and to discuss current events. Feel free to make suggestions to fields you would like to see covered, and I will consider them. Please leave your name with comments. Thank you. Arabic: عربي.

Friday, March 25, 2005

The PEW Answers

I received a response from the e-mail I sent to the PEW Charitable Trusts regarding the fraud pulled on the US Congress and the President of the USA. To her credit, she did respond. I have to give her kudos for that. Below you will find her e-mail. After that, you will find my reply! I did not consider this a sufficient answer to my questions.

Dear ** ********

In response to your e-mail, I want to assure you that The Pew Charitable Trusts embraces transparency and accountability in all of its work.

As part of its mission to serve the public interest, and to help increase public trust and confidence in U.S. elections, The Pew Charitable Trusts has invested over the last nine years in nonpartisan efforts to help reform the role money plays in campaigns. We are pleased that our involvement, along with that of many others, could play a positive role in helping to spark a national dialogue and ultimately, agreement on options for change.

Our campaign finance reform grants were focused on work that helped to inform the American public and its leaders about the impact of soft money, the lack of disclosure and the lax enforcement of laws. We joined with leading academic and nonprofit institutions across the ideological spectrum to document the scope of the issue and then supported them to make the resulting research broadly accessible to the public. Over the nine years, these grantees, among others, included The American Enterprise Institute, the League of Women Voters Education Fund, Brigham Young University, the Center for Responsive Politics, The George Washington University, and the University of Utah.

Any assertion that we tried to hide our support of campaign finance reform grantees is false. As we do with all of our work, we have fully disclosed our support for grantees working on campaign finance reform in a variety of forms over the last nine years, including in organizational publications and tax forms, as well as on our Web site, where a searchable database of grants has been available since 1998.

I hope you will find the work of the Trusts helpful in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Deborah L. Hayes
Director, Public Affairs
Now, my reply to this answer:
Dear Ms. Hayes,

Thank you for such a speedy reply. I find that very helpful. I will take what you stated under advisement, and I will assume the "fake" businesses which Mr. Treglia was acting beyond the scope of his authority. Is this accurate?

I really must know. I have already read your explaination in several places by several sources.

The question that needs to be answered is this: Was he acting with the authority of the Trusts to create these false businesses, religious organizations, and/or minority groups to make the appearance there were many interested when in reality there were only a few?

This is very disturbing, and I must know. I know you have followed the letter of the law in your reporting the finances. I applaud you for that. Yet, he broke the spirit of the law, in his own words. Please clear this up. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rosemary ********

PS. I realize this may be difficult since Mr. Sean Treglia does not work with you anymore. Would there be any records other than the ones you have to prove his disclaimers on election commercials? I would appreciate the information. Thank you, again. Have a wonderful day.
I hope this clears up what is going on for you. I find it surprising that I have not been answered. Could it be because I gave my site? Hmm.